As quick as I blinked an eye, I felt like it was time for school to start all over again. Our summer was “full” of exciting adventures and plenty of memories were deposited into the kids memory bank, but school officially started this week. Both kiddos were super excited to meet their teachers and kick start the school year. I think as much as I have a hard time saying goodbye to summer, I was truly ready for the kids to get back to school.
We’ve had many crazy mornings in our house, don’t get me wrong. But I have learned a few simple things that help make our mornings much easier. So, I wanted to share with you some of those simple ways to make back to school easy and a breeze.
Packing up the kids and getting them out the door each morning with their lunches, backpacks, and positive attitudes can take planning and preparation. Here are a few tips I’ve learned along the way, that seem to help ease our morning routine. After all, anything that makes our lives as parents easier, why not give them a try, right?
I hope you find a few ideas that help you and your family find an back to school an easy transition.
- Set your alarm a few minutes before your kids wake. This enables you a few extra minutes to yourself, in what can otherwise be a busy morning. Even if it’s just 15 minutes! That is enough time for most busy parents to wash up, get dressed, and even start a cup of tea or coffee. Now, some parents are even more awesome and can squeeze in a quick workout, I applaud you! I hope to be there one day.
- Pick outfits out the night before. This is also a great way to encourage some independence and self esteem by giving kids choices and allowing them to help pick out an outfit for school.
- Have a backpack command center. Pick a spot near your front door or entryway where you can leave shoes and backpacks. This way when it’s time to get out the door in the morning there’s no searching for those last minute items.
- Place completed homework or school paperwork into backpacks the night before. Again, you don’t want to be searching for a field trip form the morning of, so make it easy on yourself and have it packed the night before.
- Make lunches the night before and store in fridge until morning. Maybe the kids are old enough to pitch in, that’s even better! If not, then pack your snacks or lunch the night before, again to save time in the morning. If you can’t find time the night before, another option is make lunch during breakfast time. I usually make ours as my daughter is eating her breakfast. This is also a great way to spend a few extra minutes chatting in the morning about her school day. It’s a nice kick-start to the day.
6. Set your coffee pot for auto-brew so when you wake up your coffee is already brewed, all it needs is a cup and a happy parent to enjoy the first sip. This is probably my favorite part of the school routine, getting to enjoy my cup of coffee before the kids wake up.
7. Stay calm, enjoy your mornings, and allow time for an extra hug before the bell rings. Who doesn’t love an extra hug from their favorite munchkins, right?!!! Before we know it the kids grow, so why not embrace these moments now, while we can.
In case you missed it last week, below is a sweet lunch box reminder, to let your kids know they are loved. It’s a free printable to enjoy. Download here.
I hope you found these tips helpful in some way. You can always adapt these to fit your needs best. Kids do great with routine, but I find as a busy mom I benefit from a school routine also. If these tips help your mornings run smoother for school, I’d love to hear about it.
I’d love to add some tips and tricks to our list, tell me what are some of your ideas for a smooth transition back to school?
If you enjoy our posts, follow along so you don’t miss a thing.
Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your week!